Monday, October 11, 2010

Adopt-a-plant

In spring 2009 I set all my little magic seeds in their pots, all safely sealed inside Ikea freezer bags (which incidentally were perfect for this purpose) and waited not so patiently to see which ones would wake up and want to play.

It seemed that nearly every single one of them wanted to play. The house was utterly overwhelmed with seedlings. There was not a single windowsill with any space at all, and my home has a lot of wide windowsills. Realising that I would not, under any circumstance, require over 80 tomato plants, more than 40 aubergine plants and many others I came up with an idea.

The group I started on Facebook provided this solution. I advertised when I had seedlings available and what types, together with what sort of home they needed (garden, balcony, windowsill). Then people came and collected what they wanted in return for a bag of mold.

This will be what I will do next season as well, and would love to get people involved who would like to swap plants as well. So, if you are based around Reykjavík area please add yourself to the group.



No comments:

Post a Comment