Thursday, September 20, 2012

The end is nigh

The plastic greenhouse and cold frame are packed away.
Most of the pots are on the new compost heap.
All my indoor plants have been hacked back for overwintering and rehomed by various generous souls.
Yesterday I pulled my carrots and ate them with friends for dinner and picked a few remaining strawberries.
The first frost came today.

I leave for 3 months in China in no less than 2 days. So all is prepared and put away ready to welcome winter. My kale, winter peas, and japanese spring onions are being left where they are and some hardy lettuces are being left for my tenants.

The hardy herb section have been heavily chopped down and dried just in case the plants done make it but I am leaving rosemary, sage and two types of thyme out to see whether they survive.

This summer in Iceland has been one of the hottest and driest in many years history. It has been brilliant for gardeners, except for the need to water, but we at least are not in a country which suffers from hosepipe bans.  I havent spent as much time on fine details om my garden as I thought I would this year but its still been very beneficial.

Next year if I am here all season (I might be abroad here and there) I will concentrate my efforts on more varieties of the most successful plants, and have less experiments.

I tried tried tried with babycorn, It was in the greenhouse and grew so tall - taller than me - and so strong, but never produced cobs. Its just not a plant for Iceland. I love making plants not for Iceland work here but this was just not going to happen.

You're not supposed to grow rasberries and blackberries and blueberries and gooseberries in pots either, but when I broke up with my child's father, I moved the plants too which had yet to be planted and simply put them in pots temporarily. They arent in big enough pots really but I have had quite a few raspberries off the plants. Next spring I will put them in bigger pots. I cannot put them in the ground as I rent the place I live in and share the garden and am waiting until I can have a fully fledged garden I can take really seriously.

I also grew more flowers this year, specifically ones which took little effort and I very much enjoyed them. Marigolds, sweet peas, sunflowers, nasturtiums, cornflowers and more. I cannot wait until I can plant full perennial plants in my own permanent garden. I will go fern crazy.

My windowsill gardening was spectacular this year. Tomatoes, paprikas, aubergines and chilis coming out of my ears. It shows even those of us with just a windowsill can do well here in Iceland.

Here are the photos from the last month. This month I have been eating:

  • Chilis - many types
  • Paprika - 2 types
  • Aubergines - 2 types
  • Basil
  • Thyme
  • Rosemary
  • Camomile
  • Spring Onions
  • Lettuces - many types
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes
  • French beans
  • Runner beans
  • Peas
  • Mange Touts
  • Cucumber
  • Squash
  • Courgettes
  • Tomatoes - many types
  • Strawberries
  • Raspberries
  • Beetroot - success at last!
  • Nasturtiums
  • Kale
I have alot to tell about what tricks worked, but in reality this will probably be the last post until I return from China, unless I decide to do some window sill work there, which knowing me, isn't unlikely. However, time to write will be sparse as I plan to be very busy. So if this is it, see you next spring.

Love,
Kitty x

3 comments:

  1. very nice pictures, thank you for sharing your gardening story. Have a good stay in China

    ReplyDelete
  2. like your blog,like the tomatoes pictures too!! can you visit my page please? need more visits there.
    www.arielgchapuis.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything is sooo fresh......really i wanna have it..
    Nice Post . . .:)
    may you want to stay in bali,you can book hotels in bali from my website (List of Bali Hotels Discount, Low Rates):

    Seminyak Hotels
    kuta Bali Hotels
    Seminyak Resorts Bali
    Family Hotels Bali

    Best Regards

    Bali Hotels Management

    ReplyDelete